Saturday, January 28, 2012

New Beginnngs

I’m going to start blogging …. Again. It will cover my longings for my children and their families, cooking/baking, weight loss, spiritual growth/shortcomings, emotional struggles, things that bug me, people and things I adore, things I have done, hope for, remember and dream of, stuff that will be random and likely of no interest to anyone but me. I will learn how to be a better blogger and use what I learn. It will be my vent and give additional purpose to my Sabbath mornings.

So I’ll start with the end. Attending 4 funerals in the past month, makes me wonder about mine. They were each lovely ladies, who lived good lives and loved God. Did you ever attend a funeral of a total loser? Someone who caused family and friends all kinds of pain and agony? I guess at funerals they talk about the good things we’ve done and avoid bringing up the not-so-good. I think at mine they might say: “You never had to wonder what Dana was thinking because she just said it. She had plenty of fun and was consistently inconsistent except when it came to her efforts to obey God’s will and love her children.” I hope I die before my sister. She had my mom to herself for 4 years before I was born. I want mom to myself for a little while.

I hope I die like my mom. She was busy and nothing was left undone, no words unsaid, no loose ends. All of her stewardships were in shape. The friend who found her said she even had a smile on her face. She knew we were all busy, so I don’t even feel guilty that she was there for 30 some hours alone, while the UPS man left a package at the front door and my brother and my daughter left messages on her answering machine. There was no sign of her even reaching for help. Jan Shelton said “she is the best person who ever loved me”. I feel the same way. She was indeed, the most Christ-like.

I’d like to have the undertaker sew a smile on my face. I’ve thought of how he can do the stitching; knot the suture inside the corners of my lips and run it up just above my ear and tie it off. Wouldn’t that be great to have people take their last look at me, hopefully the way they would usually see me… smiling. Sound freaky? Nawh. I’m quite sure it could be done, I hope. Guess I’d better let the kids know this is what I want. Kids: take note. :D Hey, I’m not asking for my finger to be pointing or my brow to be furrowed, or a winking eye or my hand on my hip; just a sweet smile.

If I end up bedridden, my only requests are that my kids keep my feet slothered with cream; there is plenty in my bathroom closet, (I just hate the thought of cracked old lady feet rubbing on the sheets) and soft music playing and something nice to smell, candles or fragrant plants, nice massage oil, just something calming.

But I’m alive now, so I guess I’ll do my best to live happy and love lots at LuLu’s Table

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You just made my WHOLE weekend! I can't wait to read your blog weekly!

aftonini said...

Nicely put my friend! I've had my funeral arrangements planes out for about 15 or 20 years now. But some of that has changed. The person I wanted to sing a solo up and died before me...any volunteers? I guess, also, now that I'm in Texas some of the plans might just automatically change. Who knows.

aftonini said...

Oops, that was meant to be planned out