Sunday, February 12, 2012

SEWING


I sewed in high school.  I had some great outfits, some were actually modified patterns/original designs.  I love fabrics and textures.  I made the dress for my wedding reception (I wore Dawn’s for the ceremony).  I sewed a few Halloween costumes for the kids.  I learned that sewing was NOT less expensive than buying and I was busy.  I started buying and not sewing.  Oh, wait, Mattson was in scouts, so I sewed merit badges on his sash.  Then he became an Eagle Scout so I gave my sewing machine away.  My mom found out that I didn’t have a sewing machine, so one day I got a delivery.  That lady…. She said she just couldn’t imagine me not having one.  I am thankful for that. 
                         
Of course she was right.  Every grandma needs to sew for her grandchildren.  (we recently acquired the treadle machine that J-man’s Nana had used to mend their jeans).  I made the dress that Nora was blessed in… the fabric was the skirt of Kirstynn’s wedding dress.  I hope another baby girl that we love can wear it one day.  I made the white pants that Kyree wore for Matt and Alie’s wedding ceremony.  I sew for my grand children.  When Marley said she wants a blue princess dress, she got the best Cinderella dress a LuLu could make.   Nora has the idea that “LuLu can make it”.  With J-man’s help, we have not yet disappointed her.   Ummm, a Tinkerbell costume, a red dress…. She knows if she sends me a picture, I’ll make it.  Everyone needs an apron, my kids have one that I made for them.  




I took Nora to the fabric store and started teaching her.  “What do you think that fabric is for?”  “A blanket”.  Good.  “This is corduroy, this is pinwale corduroy, and this is wide wale corduroy, this is seersucker, and yes, you can have sparkle fabric, but it can be an accent, so let’s pick out the main fabric, then the secondary, the contrasting, and finally the sparkle.  Then we look for the pattern.   She chose 8, I narrowed it down to 3 and she made the final decision.  Of course that means 3 dresses, for my 3 little grandgirls.  Next time we’re in Marley’s neighborhood, she can pick out the fabrics and pattern, and 3 more dresses will be made. 

Here is one of the the new dresses, it's Nora's.  Marley's' will be the same, Ava's similar.  

 

I am glad that my mom sent me that sewing machine, because I am creating some fun dresses at LuLu’s Table.  

1 comment:

Angie Cheney said...

love it. You're so talented